Is there a limit to the magic type used by dragons?

Do you have a question regarding WoW lore, or are you simply in need of a good discussion to set your mind straight, throw a post in here.
Lilliadormi
Newcomer
Newcomer

Is there a limit to the magic type used by dragons?

Post#1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:24 pm

I've had this come up in the past with a few friends and I'm unsure as to whether any dragon flight is unable to use any certain type of magic. E.G. A bronze dragon using the light. A red dragon using arcane?

Asherystrasz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is there a limit to the magic type used by dragons?

Post#2 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Do keep in mind, there is no lore preventing dragons from using the light or shadow. Or any divine magic at all.

But in Heartwing, we have the headcanon enforced. That dragons would not use the Light or any divine magic simply because that is not what they believe in. In order to use the divine magic, you have to be a believer, and dragons believe in the Pantheon and Titans, which does not use Divine Magic at all. Which would contradict itself.

However, it is completely allowed for a red dragon to use arcane magic. As evidenced by Korialstrasz (Krasus) as he was a member of the Council of Six in the Kirin Tor.
[Alive] Aerenstrasz - Leader of Heartwing
[Alive] Aerdranstrasz - Child of Aeren
[Alive] Azraelstrasz- Second son of Asherystrasz - Not part of Heartwing

[Deceased] Asherystrasz - Retired leader of Heartwing
[Deceased] Hydrastrasz - Former Leader of Heartwing

Noble
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post#3 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:10 pm

There may be a limit to the type of magic dragons use but not the actual diversity of arcane itself.
If you think of Holy and Shadow as a type of element, arcane can theoretically imitate these Elements and produce them all the same as Fire and Water. But to a limited degree, for example, healing with arcane is not nearly as decent as Holy Light and might corrupt the individual being healed or the arcanist doing the healing.

Lilliadormi
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post#4 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:26 pm

So, would you agree that my Dragon character could use another type of magic for healing others (mainly herself) but have it represent Holy magic to deepen her disguise?

Asherystrasz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:34 am

I would say yes, Liliadormi =)

Taro
Covenant
Covenant

Post#6 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:21 pm

You don't actually need to believe in the Holy light to wield it. The Holy Light lends itself to anyone who wishes to tap into it, adhering the religion is not required. The only requirement is that the wielder believes in the righteousness of their own cause. This is why the Scarlet Crusade can wield the Holy Light, despite their hostility.

Of course, if you can heal someone by setting them on fire, I don't see why you would even bother wielding the Holy Light at all. That shit is awesome.

Asherystrasz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I would say you still need to believe in the Holy Light. Faith is an incredible factor to wield the light, that is why some people like Tirion Fordring or Uther the Lightbringer was so powerful in their wielding of the light. Not just rightousness of their cause, but the fact of their faith.

Just like Prophet Velen and Lady Liadrin. Lady Liadrin was first able to wield the true Holy Light after Prophet Velen showed her the path of faith.

Return to “Lore Questions”